Air fryers are the hottest new trend in cooking. They’re a time-saving appliance that promises to make your favorite fried foods without all of the oil and fat. However, you may not know that air fryers come with an unpleasant side effect – a strong plastic smell that raises the question ‘Do air Fryer Smell’ and is concerned about how my kitchen might end up smelling after using an air fryer for a while.
This happens with any cookware that uses these materials to heat food. So you must not worry about your house smelling like fried foods all day long – make sure to clean your air fryer regularly, and you’ll be good to go!
In this post, we will talk about all kinds of smells that occur due to air fry cooking and how you can get rid of them. Let’s start.
- 1 The Air Fryer Smells Like Plastic
- 2 The Air Fryer Smells Like Grease
- 3 The Air Fryer Smells Fishy
- 4 The Air Fryer Smells Like Soap
- 5 Final Thoughts
The Air Fryer Smells Like Plastic
Air fryers have a plastic smell. It’s not an unpleasant odor, but it is noticeable and can be off-putting to some people. The good news is that the Smell scatters over time as you use your air fryer more often.
You’ll also find that the food cooked in your air fryer will absorb any lingering odors from the fryer itself, so if you’re cooking something with intense flavors like garlic or onion, they should mask any residual smells left by your appliance.
Reason Behind Plastic Smell
The question on every air fryer user’s mind is why do they have this weird Smell?
- The reason is that the heating element in an air fryer is made from aluminum and stainless steel, which can give off a metallic odor when heated up.
- Another reason is quite simple. Air frying cooks food by circulating hot air around the food at high speeds, allowing it to cook up crispy outside while leaving it moist and juicy inside. This process leaves behind some odors from plastics used in making air fryers, which never entirely disappears no matter how much you clean them.
Tips to Getting Rid of Plastic Odor
Some air fryers have a plastic smell that is hard to get rid of. If you don’t want to invest in an air purifier, try these three simple tips from Chowhound members:
- Put your air fryer outside for a few hours on humid days or near another appliance with the exhaust vent facing outwards.
- Place something like oranges inside and turn it on high for 15 minutes
- Use white vinegar by taking apart the machine and clean it thoroughly
The Air Fryer Smells Like Grease
The air fryer is a great kitchen appliance to cook food without using any oil. This is because the air fryer cooks food by circulating hot air around it. However, many people notice that their new appliance starts smelling like grease right away!
Tips to Getting Rid of Grease Smell
- There are ways to prevent your air fryer from becoming greasy, though. For example, you can periodically run vinegar through the machine as this will remove oils and odors from the inside of the unit.
- Use of high-quality ingredients when cooking to minimize potential smells that may linger after cooking!
- The odor that comes from an air fryer is not grease; it’s just the natural byproduct of any cooking process, including oven baking or stovetop sautéing.
The Air Fryer Smells Fishy
I’m sure you’ve experienced this before. For an example, you’re cooking something in an air fryer, and it smells like fish. This Smell originates at your air fryer from cooking seafood or other foods with strong odors.
Tips to Getting Rid of Fishy Smell
The fishy smell can be avoided by using baking soda mixed with water as a natural scrub.
The Air Fryer Smells Like Soap
Have you ever wondered why your air fryer smells like soap? It’s because of the chemical called sodium hydroxide that is used in many detergents. Sodium hydroxide is a colorless, odorless liquid with an alkaline base found in household cleaners and drains uncloggers. The heat from cooking causes this substance to evaporate, which accounts for the pungent smell of your kitchen while frying food.
The air fryer is a small countertop appliance that uses hot air to cook food. If you notice an overwhelming smell of soap coming from your kitchen while cooking with your air fryer, then it’s likely the result of using too much detergent or improper cleaning. In most cases, following these simple steps can help to solve this problem.
Tips to Getting Rid of Soapy Smell
- First, unplug and disconnect the power cord from the unit.
- Then remove all removable parts, including mesh baskets and drip tray (if applicable).
- Dispose of any food debris left on the bottom wire rack in the trash receptacle before proceeding to step 2.
- Use few drops of dishwashing liquid to wash the appliance
We hope you found this blog post helpful and can satisfy the answer for Do air fryers smell? The air fryer is the most trendy appliance to have in your kitchen. It has become prevalent over the last few years, and for a good reason! These appliances are perfect for cooking food quickly, evenly, and with little or no oil needed. However, before we get into how to stop air fryers from smelling, we should take preventive measures when using. These measures should be not to build grease on the machine’s air fryers’ inner walls from repeatedly frying foods without cleaning them out. Another is if you have leftovers that aren’t appropriately wrapped, they may smell as they cook.